Need an Oracle ERP DBA? – John Gallager
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
Consultant with 15 years experience working with ERP system implementations, large database systems, technical consulting and training. Solid written and verbal communicator, adaptive problem solver and creative thinker.
- Operating Environments Linux, Solaris, AIX, HP UX, Microsoft Server Platforms, Virtualization
- Database Systems Oracle 11g RDBMS, Real Application Clusters (RAC), Data Guard (DG), SQL Server, MySQL Server
- Middleware Oracle Fusion Middleware 11g with Weblogic, Enterprise Application, Server 10g, Oracle Enterprise Manager, Grid Control, WebCache
- Enterprise Systems Tools Veritas Storage Foundation for Oracle, Veritas Cluster Server, Symantec, NetBackup, Quick I/O, EMC2 Timefinder/BCV.
- Storage Systems EMC2 Symmetrix, NetApp, Oracle Exadata, Other SAN appliances
- Software Tools BMC Database Automation, Quest Central for Oracle, Radview’s Webload, NeoLoad, AWR, RMAN, SSL, Tomcat, Apache
- Applications BMC’s Remedy, Ellucian’s Banner ERP and Luminis, CA Clarity
- Networking HA with Server Load Balancers, Firewalls, Routers
Ellucian, F/K/A SUNGARD H.E., ATLANTA, GA, JULY 2008 – PRESENT
Senior Consultant – Database/Performance Engineer
Professional services consulting – remote and onsite delivery.
- Identified the need for a new service to verify Ellucian’s ERP implementations through end-to-end performance testing before go-lives. Prepared and pitched the service to the management team to gain their approval; prepared and delivered presentation on the service to our professional services group. Sourced software and developed testing methodology. Prepared service documents including proposals, SOW, engagement checklist template, final report template. Identified the scope, inputs and deliverables for the load testing service. This ultimately led to a new high-demand premium service offering which is now a steady source of new revenue for the company. Also significant is, this has also led to a change in the way implementations are done at the company.
- Primary resource charged with optimizing client Oracle Application Server middle tiers and Oracle RDBMS engines for high concurrency. Load and stress testing web tiers to simulate thousands of concurrent users and ten of thousands of transactions per hour. Statistics gathered from databases and middle tiers are used as input for performance evaluation and tuning. Web tiers are usually multiple load balanced Oracle 11g Fusion Middleware Servers with Weblogic; database tiers are one large Oracle 11gR2 RDBMS server or multi-node RAC configurations.
- Primary provider of support in production down situations where failure is caused by high concurrency. The types of cases involve failure of database and/or application tiers under heavy load.
- Lead troubleshooter for Ellucian, uniquely skilled in identifying root cause with an affinity for complex problems on complex systems.
- Problem solving skills honed by frequent and multiple assignments are transferable to any situation or environment.
Sungard, Atlanta, GA JULY 2002 – JUNE 2008
Senior Consultant – Database Engineer
Professional services consulting – remote delivery.
- Previous consulting roles involved simultaneous assignments to client organizations for the duration of their project life cycles. Charged with coordinating and providing technical and logistic support for the ERP implementations. This involves working with client executive and technical management, as well as technical teams on a wide range of implementation related issues.
- Technical and support tasks including, but not limited to:
- Working on Multi-node Oracle RAC Database installations on various platforms.
- Designing and implementing Backup and Recovery schemes for clients using Oracle RMAN
- Configuration of Oracle Data Guard for offline reporting
- Performing installation of SunGard’s Banner ERP software suite
- Authored technical white paper on Oracle Data Guard configuration.
- Provision of Installation, trip and status reports to client technical and executive management teams.
- Remote delivery of technical training and services over the Internet using remote delivery tools.
- Training clients to manage their Oracle infrastructure and the Banner ERP system.
AT&T CORPORATE, (FOR ACE RESOURCE SOLUTIONS) ATLANTA, GA JUNE 2003 – 2004
PERFORMED IN THE ROLE OF ORACLE TECHNICAL LEAD FOR AT&T’S GLOBAL CHANGE MANAGEMENT PROJECT.
- Provided primary Oracle support for Remedy change management project. The project was charged with implemented change management for Corporate AT&T.
- Assisted project team in determining the best method of achieving objectives using the Oracle software and BMC Remedy Change Management software.
- Performed system testing and troubleshooting for the Remedy team.
- Implemented backups and performed database restores in support of the development effort.
- Contributed to the decision making process by providing valuable input during meetings with executive management and the technical team.
COMCAST (F/K/A AT&T BROADBAND) (FOR SUNGARD), ATLANTA, GA 2000- June 2003
Lead Database Engineer
Managed AT&T Broadband’s mission-critical, enterprise Oracle databases. Provided 24/7 x 365 on-call support
for enterprise systems at the Atlanta Data Center.
- Performed troubleshooting and tuning on their cable-provisioning database running on BMC’s Remedy software, dramatically improving performance. This resolved a persistent operational issue that predated my assignment. The improvement in performance improved efficiency in affected departments and was technology. Automating backups and status reporting using UNIX Korn Shell scripting. Significantly quantifiable in revenue terms ($200,000/hr) for the organization. On taking the assignment I was told that the system couldn’t be tuned, many have tried and failed.
- Worked extensively with EMC professional services on the configuration of Oracle on EMC Symmetrix storage, managed by Veritas Foundation Suite and Veritas Cluster Server (VCS) for high availability. This included Veritas Block Level Incremental Backup and EMC Timefinder configuration.
- Designed and implemented an enterprise-wide database backup scheme for all databases that resulted in no lost data during multiple recoveries.
- Implemented multiple clustered very large database systems (VLDB) on Sun E6800 and E10000 Enterprise class machines using Veritas Cluster Server technology and EMC Storage Arrays.
- Implemented enterprise-wide monitoring using Oracle’s Enterprise Manager with event notification.
- Managed 23 Oracle databases on Sun Enterprise servers including E6800 and E10000 machines. Databases were a mixture of transactional OLTP and Data warehouses which varied in size from 250 GB to in excess of 2 TB.
- Worked with Veritas professionals in implementing Business Continuity Volumes for Oracle backups. Successfully implemented and tested EMC Timefinder with BCVs on, the high profile, AT&T Broadband Service Manager’s transactional and data warehouse databases.
- Moved large databases between machines, performed database migrations, patches and software upgrades.
- Performed system level configuration for Oracle on all machines as root. Worked closely with the system administrators and had root access to all machines.
- Mentored inexperienced database administrators, trained entry-level technical staff in Oracle database and basic UNIX administration. Trained UNIX administrators in database fundamentals and basic operational troubleshooting for Oracle databases.
- Supervised, created performance plans, conducted performance appraisals for other database administrators.
- Worked with project teams providing valuable insight on implementation issues including capacity planning, server and storage configuration, and failover scenarios and configuration.
- Assisted in creating and refining project plans, tasks, timelines and deliverables for enterprise projects. Managed systems projects to achieve enterprise objectives.
- Provided Oracle support to external project teams. This involved working closely with project managers and consultants from Accenture and TATA Consulting.
- Frequently worked with director level executives and above, participating in meetings and providing vital input to aide in the decision making process.
SUNGARD, Atlanta, GA 1998-2000
- Delivered courseware to client technical staff in classroom setting and remotely using Cisco’s Webex tool. Classroom sizes of up to 25 students were accommodated. The clients were taught courseware on the following topics: Oracle Database Administration, Advanced Oracle Database Administration, Oracle Forms Development, SQL, PL/SQL. The assignment included development of lecture material or entire courses where necessary.
- Lead technical resource for the Mid-Western division. Provided professional services to over 30 universities and colleges across the Midwestern United States.
- Server configuration and installation of Oracle RDBMS and Oracle Application Server on platforms: Windows NT/2000, Solaris, HP UX, Digital Unix, VMS, and Oracle versions 7.x to 8i. Installation of Sungard’s Banner Software suite on the above server platforms and configuration of Web access using Oracle Application Server and Sungard’s Web products.
- Planned with the client, and then performed data conversion exercises using custom PL/SQL programs.
- These were ETL type exercises that involved moving data from legacy systems on mainframe or AS/400 to Oracle platforms using Oracle PL/SQL.
- Provided database tuning and Oracle disaster recovery consulting services to client organizations in the US and Central America.
M.S., Information Systems and Technology Management – Information Assurance and Security Specialization
(2006), Capella University, Minnesota, USA
B.S., Computer Science (Hons) (1995), University of the West Indies, Kingston, Jamaica
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT AND TRAINING
- Executive Management Training Program – Total Quality Management (TQM) methodology. Cable and Wireless, Jamaica.
- Enterprise Systems Security (CISSP Course)
- Project Management for Technology Professionals (PMP Course)
- Oracle Education, 11g Database Tuning